Sunday 4 January 2015

Cinderella Christmas Cake

Another kiddy kristmas spektakular - this time, Cinderella getting ready for a rather seasonal ball.

Iona helpfully designed me a fairy godmother:
I painted her on to royal icing, in a vaguely Rackham-influenced scene that I improvised in the last hours of Christmas Eve.

Oddments of marzipan went to make buttons and cotton reels for the "frame" - I remember the dress-making scene in the Disney Cinderella having a huge influence on me wanting to make clothes, so wanted to echo their enticing chaos. The sides of the cake are indented to look like quilting, with a fabric-like ruffle and marks like tiny stitches.
Thank heavens for tiny nine year old thumbs to help make those buttons: they were made from a tiny ball of marzipan, indented with the lid of a Berol felt tip to make the rings, then holed with a toothpick.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment